Monday, November 1, 2010

Are you a racist?


This weekend I had a terrible thing happen – I was scammed… but the worst part was not the scam or the potential loss of funds but the response…

On Saturday evening I went to withdraw money from a bank machine just nearby my apartment.  I completed the transaction flawlessly, however, when it was time for the money was to dispense to me, to my surprise, it did not!!  Instead I noticed a metal plate which I thought might have been an inactive dispenser door, but after further investigation realized it was just a metal plate… Was the machine out of order? Was I scammed? 
Either way I instantly called the 800 help line listed on the ATM. I was told, sorry there was nothing he could do to help me. I asked for a technician, I was told "Bohužel" it is Saturday night and it cannot be done.  Then I asked if at least he could make a record of my call, i.e. take my name and number and I was told "sorry we don't do that..." Don't do that?  Hmm... How helpful was the helpline after all???

Many of us foreigners would refer to this incident as "Typically Czech,"  while incredibly frustrating though I realized getting so upset would not solve the issue.  The money is gone, and hopefully will return someday... or maybe not... After 8+ years here I have come to accept what is "typically Czech."  I accept it because I have accepted the culture.  I have stopped referring to things as "typically Czech"  because I realized that it is offensive.  Czechs, like any other culture in the world have their own way and operate on their own time.  But all too often, many of us foreigners take for granted that Czech have their own unique culture, and identity which comes with a whole lot of baggage.  

Just because Czechs are typically Caucasian and resemble North Americans or other Western Europeans does not mean they are like us.  If we go to China, most of us will read a book on how to behave, how to hand a business card, how to eat, how to settle a restaurant bill... but do we give the Czech people the same courtesy?  Why not?  

The conclusion I come to is that we do not respect their culture, for all its good and for all its bad, we just assume since they look like us, they should have the same values, and work ethic and attitudes as us... Is this fair? Is it realistic?  

If you are a foreigner please do one thing the next time you get fustrated and feel like shouting "THAT'S TYPICALLY CZECH!!!!!!!!!" Remember you are a guest in this country, it is YOU that is foreign, and know that is IS typically Czech, it is thier unique style, culture and mentality and who are you to say its wrong?

Use the litmus test: If I were in China or Japan would I be so upset and racist?

If you are Czech: How do you feel when you hear a foreigner say something like this? Do you agree or disagree? Is being typically Czech a bad thing?

If you are a foreigner: Are you aware of your racism? Do you treat Czech with respect? Do you respect their individuality and national heritage?

5 comments:

  1. I have lived with a Czech-American who always used this expression "oh it is so typically Czech" and without actually noticing he was doing the same typically Czech things too. I think such expression is very offensive and should not be used at all. Cultures should be taken into consideration and Czechs should respect their culture as well as the rest who are not Czech should respect it in return. At the end of the day we all share one world and with such a rapidly globalizing world - we should be educated enough to "see" behind the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would argue that it has nothing to do with culture but instead poor customer service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah that too. What I meant by culture is the actual reference to anything that happens as "typically Czech" - so I think cultures should be respected in a way that such expression is never used again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing as I have no idea what is "typically Czech" I probably cannot comment well. I can say that as an open minded American, I always read up on a culture before visiting abroad and try to keep the mentality of "when in Rome". Being scammed...well that goes on in many places, some more frequent than others, and is more or less "typically human!" It certainly doesn't make it right, but then again when is crime of any sort right? I think that the majority of real racism is founded in ignorance and fear. Races are like families at some level, it's ok for me to make fun of my own, or trash talk it, but you sure as hell better not! Just look at Chris Rock, what he says says about black people could never be said by a white comedian. Anyhow, fun subject! Keep blogging.

    .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every young Czech I know detests the low levels of customer service here and view it as a throwback to the days of communism when the shopkeeper was "doing you a favor" to sell you something. I feel pretty integrated into Czech culture but still appreciate a company that cares vs. one that does not (and in Mark's case - the fact that they wouldn't send a policeman to catch the crooks removing the metal plate and cash blows me away as the company and customer are both losing money). I view it as in general, Czech employees are not rewarded on customer satisfaction - therefore, why would they care? Good article Mark.

    ReplyDelete